The We Believe Foundation, Inc.’s mission is to be a resource that both raises awareness and provides financial assistance for teens and young adults battling cancer thru to survivorship. Our objectives fall under three categories: Assistance, Awareness and Advocacy.
Assistance Awareness Advocacy
How We Started- Matt Miller
In 2008, Matt was in his senior year at DeMatha Catholic High School and after a great summer playing Lacrosse and just one week before he was to receive his official scholarship offer to play Lacrosse at Drexel University, Matt received news of the unthinkable He had testicular cancer! Those words would change the course of his life. Matt was immediately taken into surgery for tumor removal and then faced three months of intensive Chemotherapy. This rough journey included many weeks of nausea, headaches, nsomnia, rashes, 20 lbs of weight loss along with the loss of all his hair! Through it all, Matt always BELIEVED he would conquer Cancer and be able to again step on the field to lead his team as goalie and captain by March of his senior year! His coaches and team mates would never let him expect anything less! Their support and their BELIEF in him allowed Matt to reach this goal. Matt’s family created The We Believe Foundation to pass on what he’s received from friends and family to those who may not be so fortunate!
How We’re Funded
- We are mainly funded from our signature awareness events that we do each year. The We Believe Lacrosse Classic, A Night of Pink Hope and now our We Believe Golf Classic.
- In addition we are a United Way option for donors to choose when they pick their annual giving through their company.
- We are blessed to be the charity of choice for companies such as EPIC Brands, the largest cheerleading organization the east coast. In addition, we are proud to be a premier charity for Robert Andrew Salons and Spas, also the largest Salon on the East coast.
- There is also our Pay It Forward Program. This allows families and friends of young cancer warriors to have our help with their own events and receive back the proceeds less 20%, which must go to another WBF warrior.
- But lastly it is the PEOPLE around us that make this foundation go on to be able to help young cancer warriors each year.
How We Make A Difference
Assistance, Awareness and Advocacy. They are the pillars of our organization and it’s how we make a difference. Assistance takes many forms from providing Financial Hardship Grants to Lost Part-Time Wage Grants to Pink Hearts of Hope Grants. We spread the word for Adolescents and Young Adults (AYA’s) who have been diagnosed with cancer by running a variety of events and education programs including the We Believe Lacrosse Classic and the Just Check Em 5K. We advocate by being the voice of all AYA’s with cancer by being a charter member of the Livestrong Young Adult Alliance and the Critical Mass Young Adult Alliance.